Question: What are some of the advantages of attending college online?
Online education is known for its flexibility, but studies have identified several additional benefits of attending class online. Among them:
- Communication: Many students are more comfortable engaging in meaningful discussions online than in a classroom. These students might have hearing or speech impairments; speak different languages; have severe social anxiety; or simply need more time to organize their thoughts.
- Personalized learning: Not all students learn the same way. Web-based learning allows instructors to deliver the same content using different media, like videos or simulations, personalizing learning. Online classes providing round-the-clock access to materials and lectures also let students study when they feel most focused and engaged.
- Accessibility: Online programs transcend time, geographic, and other barriers to higher education. This can be helpful for those who work full-time, live in remote regions, or serve in the military.
- Adaptability: Learning management systems that integrate text-to-speech and other adaptive technologies support learners with physical, behavioral, and learning challenges.
- Efficiency: Studies show online students tend to achieve the same learning results in half the time as classroom-based students.
- Engagement: Online instructors can use games, social media, virtual badges, and other engaging technologies to motivate students and enhance learning.